Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 10 - Grand Junction, CO

Tuesday Oct 14:

On Tuesday we tried to visit a lot of less-actives and managed to teach lessons to two of them. Grand Junction consists of college aged kids and elderly people. Most of the "less-actives" in our ward are elderly and the reason they are less-active is because they physically can't make it to church. The youth program is very small and really consists of two maybe three families. On Tuesday we also had a chance to give a blessing to a sister who had a stroke and was mentally unstable. While we gave the blessing she was very calm though. Later in the day we were helping some of the other elders, Elders Martinez and Capps, to look for their phone which they had lost. After looking at the church and calling the phone we decided to look at our house. When we got there was a sticky note on the door that said, "Hi, I'm your neighbor and I found your phone". Our neighbor explained that he say the phone sitting on the side of a garbage can. He was going to turn it into lost and found but that was when we called and he saw the name Elder and instantly knew it was a missionaries. Heavenly Father really does look out for the missionaries. Also when we were walking a lady pulled over and asked to meet with us, which was great to actually have someone want to meet with us.

Wednesday Oct 15:

Today I went on exchanges with Elder Capps in his area. It was very helpful to see different ways to go about missionary work. We mostly did some OYM's (Open Your Mouth or talking to random people, TRP). At one point we were walking by some teenagers that were yelling at us something about Satan. Elder Capps instantly wanted to go over there and talk to them. I honestly wanted to go the other direction but said agreed as long as he does the talking. We surveyed them and they answered negatively to all the questions so we left. That night dinner cancelled and we decided to walk to Wendy's. On the way there I felt uneasy. We kept on walking and I still felt uneasy. Eventually the thought, "Go home" came to mind. I kept on walking. Again the same thought came to mind "Go home" I kept on walking. Finally the thought "Go home now" came to mind and I stopped. I explained this to Elder Capps and he suggested we pray. After the prayer we decided to walk back home. On the way back home we passed by the teenagers from earlier. Suddenly one ran up and asked for a Bible. We explained that we didn't have one but that we had a Book of Mormon. He said that was fine and ran off. Later that night we saw the other teenagers walking past without that boy. They said that he was praying for about 2 minutes after we met them the first time. It was a very uplifting and learning experience.

Thursday Oct 16:

Not much happened on Thursday. We had a great district meeting and visited a couple of new less-actives. On Wednesday I missed the Ward Coordination meeting in which the ward missionary leader thanked us for being the first hard working and obedient missionaries in a very long time. We have apparently done more work in the last two weeks than most of the other missionaries have done in one transfer, which surprised me.

Friday Oct 17:

On Friday we had weekly planning and went to go visit the lady from Tuesday. When we got there we found that she is a member who has lived in the ward for two months (one in the hospital) and has been trying to find some missionaries to give her some information on the ward. We talked with her for a while and called a few people to help. She is a very nice lady who considers missionaries as her children because she helps them so much. She also had a blind dog which had no idea where it was going and a bird that can talk, that really likes men. Apparently this bird can take a full conversation with you and lives to about 80 years old. Unfortunately it was a little shy and was more curious than anything. The rest of the day all our lessons cancelled and we did some service sanding the back of a house (reminded me of home) and went tracting.

Saturday Oct 18:

Today we woke up and filled the baptismal fount for the baptism of Cristain and Miguell Munoz. They are two brothers who are the two kids who dressed up like missionaries at our ward Halloween Party. The baptism was great. They were baptized by their uncle, and Elder Niue and I sang Savior Redeemer of My Soul. It was great to see just how much happier they seemed after baptism. It reminded me of when I was baptized especially when they said they just felt really clean. After that we went to their aunts house for a lunch and watched a talk given by Ezra Taft Bensen on the last days. It was really good. That night we had Stake Conference. The talks were all really good. I especially liked one given on Family History and how my generation on really have been given specific talents to do family history work. The other talk I liked was given by Stake President Stagg. He talked about how if we stick to the basics we will never faulter, which I found is true. Even though deep doctrine can be fun to look at, if you don't have that strong foundation in the basics you will faulter and you wont understand the deep doctrine as well.

Sunday Oct 19:

This morning we had a broadcast for Stake Conference which was a little weird but the talks were amazing. Elder David A Bednard said that sacrifice is the lesser law, but that consecration is the higher law we should all strive to follow. My favorite talk was given By Richard G. Scott. He said that sometimes the answer to prayer is no answer. This allows us to exercise faith and act to receive an answer and help us grow. The rest of the day we visited a lot of people between recent converts and less-actives.

This week was very eventful and I learned a lot about missionary work. The leaves have also started to turn colors and fall. It is very beautiful and the weather is very nice.

Till next time,

Elder Dallin S Pulsipher