Monday, January 5, 2015

Week 21 - Grand Junction - Elder Young (New Companion)

Happy New Year everyone. I hope your holidays were great.

Monday Dec 29:
Not much happened on Monday, but that night we had dinner with the Stones (a couple we are teaching) and we got a call saying that transfers would be moved to Thursday rather than Tuesday due to a storm that came through.

Tuesday & Wednesday Dec 30 & Dec 31: New Years Eve
Not much happened on these two days. Because transfers were postponed and it was New Years Eve we just went around visiting a few people, nothing too exciting. We spent New Years Eve night with the Lewis family. They made a lot of food and they made this really good Pistachio pudding cake. By the time we got home at 9:30 we were exhausted

       2015        

Thursday Jan 1: Transfer 4 | New Years.
We woke up, got ready, and went to the Church Building. When we got there we got to meet a lot of the missionaries and I got to say goodbye (temporarily) to Elder Jensen who went over to Metro side. We then started our transfer meeting which took an extra hour because the Transfer Train (a bunch of cars all driving together) was late due to snow and running out of gas. Apparently that is more common than not. The meeting was good and we got a surprise experience of President Murdock who never comes over on the Transfer Train. It was nice to hear from him. We then got the Transfer news. I always get really nervous about this. It turns out that Elder Niue got Elder Bedolla, who is awesome and I only got one companion Elder Young who is also awesome. 

Elder Young is from Las Vegas Nevada and this is his second transfer which means that I am also follow-up training. We ended up getting a ride with our assistant ward mission leader Brother Smith to our place and to Walmart. As far as the car situation goes, there have been a lot of accidents and there are no spare cars which is why we don't have one. We also don't have a phone because Elder Niue took it so our contact was very limited. The rest of the day we basically just unpacked and got to know each other better.

Friday Jan 2:
It is interesting planning without a phone, or form of transportation besides walking, but we managed. We decided to make some calls at a member who lives close by. They offered to give us a ride where we needed to go which was nice because we live a mile south of our boundary. When we got to where we were going we tried a few potentials and were able to teach the first lesson to someone. He said we could come back to teach another lesson and that he had been praying to know the answers of Where did I come from? Why am I here? and Where will I go after I die? He looks like a strong potential. 

We then walked about a mile to another neighborhood, which we later found there was a small pathway between the two neighborhoods. In this neighborhood we tracted. It was very morbid. Everyone was either ill with the flu, didn't want us, or didn't answer. It was also very very cold and grey. The hand and toe warmers really came in handy. That night we had a dinner with Brother Smith and our Coordination meeting. I think we walked a total of 4 miles.

Saturday Jan 3:
On Saturday during our personal study the zone leaders came by and said that I was going to be doing a baptismal interview in a few hours. I don't know what it is with interviews but I just get nervous for them even if I'm interviewing. It turns out he was really prepared and the interview went smoothly. I honestly didn't think I would have to do an interview so early. Luckily we were able to get a ride from the zone leaders. We decided we would go tract Bishops neighborhood. We decided that tracting around members will give the opportunity to get rides. When we got to the neighborhood we ran into Bishop Holt walking. He offered to let us in to have some hot chocolate so after we tracted his entire neighborhood we went in. He gave us some names of recent move ins and asked if we knew about a few people. We exchanged some info and he offered a ride to our next appointment. We didn't have a dinner that night so we went home made some food and entered all the members in our GPS and whether they are active or less-active. This will help out a lot when we may need to stop by to use the restroom or to warm up. I also finally got the phone from Elder Niue. I apparently was supposed to have it all along and they sent a new phone to him.

Sunday Jan 4:
Our church time was moved to 1PM for this year. When we got to church we went around talking to some people and introducing them to Elder Young. It was also fast and testimony meeting. At the beginning of the meeting I felt like I should go up, but as usual I was really nervous too. This has never made sense to me because once I get up there I am perfectly fine, but I was very nervous. Finally it was nearing the end and I suddenly felt calm. I took this to mean that I needed to go up and that Heavenly Father was helping me. I just shared how Christmas was special this year because I could focus all my time on Jesus Christ and how I've come to understand that he is my Savior and only through him and the Atonement can we make it back to live with Heavenly Father.

After Sacrament we went to our Gospel Principles class. Brother Gustavson this year has decided to explore what other religions believe about the topics we are discussing and explain where they are wrong and what is the truth. So for this first lesson we took a quiz on how much we know about other religions. There was a study done on this quiz and they found that Mormons, Jewish, and Atheists knew the most about other religions. I think it will be an interesting class.

After church we had dinner with the Berry's and then tried a family close by, who were not home. We decided to head back home because we had no form of transportation, by the time we get to our area we would have to go back, and there was a helicopter with a search light flying around the area, so we thought it best to head home. 

Overall it was a very interesting week. I'm excited for this next transfer and to be companions with Elder Young. I can tell he really wants to get out and work and put forth the effort. I hope you all had a great New Year and had a great start to the year. I know we did.

Till next time,
Elder Dallin S Pulsipher

P.S. I don't have any pictures this week because I forgot my camera at home along with other things I needed to bring to the library so I'll send a lot next week