Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 76 - Highlands Ranch

Hello Everyone,

This has been a great week. I'm loving this area with my new companion Elder Legler.

Wednesday Jan 20:
We had a unique experience to be apart of a worldwide conference for missionaries. It was a live session from Salt Lake and talked about missionary work. They shared an interesting statistic in it. 

US/Canada
49% of investigators were found through missionaries own efforts
36% of investigators were found through members

59% of investigators got baptized who were found through members
25% of investigators got baptized who were found through missionaries own efforts.

It really shows to go that member missionary work is really powerful with finding. I have seen that this statistic is true in my mission. Members are great at finding. Missionaries can help find and teach the gospel to help people come unto Christ.

After the broadcast we had a zone meeting where they talked about getting a ton of member lessons. We have a goal to get 20 member lessons a week. After this we taught an investigator of ours named Daniel. He is waiting to be 18 before he can be baptized but has a strong testimony. So strong that we asked if he wanted to come with us to a lesson. He said yes.

Thursday Jan 21:
It wasn't a very good day for me. I was on exchanges and it seemed like thing after thing went wrong. However in my area something exciting happened. We have been teaching Monika. Her parents are active recent convert members and she recently moved in with them. We had planned to invite her to be baptized and to bring Daniel with us. When I got back that night I heard it was an amazing lesson where she accepted to be baptized on Feb 13th. She is so excited and the entire family was crying a guess. I saw her on Sunday and she was lit up with joy. This is an amazing thing to see as a missionary.

I also had a doctors appointment in which I found out that I had a staff infection on my chin. It is being resolved.

Friday Jan 22:
It was a good day, just very long. We had a great weekly planning session and meeting with the young women's president. We have a lot of great things going on in our wards and I have really enjoyed mostly working with members to help them embrace sharing the gospel. I find that I am really good at this. I was reading something this week about using your talents to push the work forward. I have focused a lot on my weaknesses without using my talents and strengths, because it has been stressed to turn weaknesses into strengths. This is an important thing to do, but if we don't use our strengths we will not be able to progress as fast as we would like. Also focus on one weakness at a time, rather than turn all your weaknesses around at once.

Saturday Jan 23:
This day was full of service. We did some painting and helped someone move. Other than that it was a normal day of missionary work.

Sunday Jan 24:
It was a long day of church, but a good day nonetheless. There was a homecoming of a missionary who just came back from Brazil. Covering two wards we with meetings we have meetings from 7:30 to 4:00. It makes for a long but good day. The last few hours are a little rough but you get spiritually filled. That night we had a member lesson with the Kings, an awesome family. In the lesson we used an analogy using google translate to demostrate the great apostasy.

Using the phrase:
"I am a child of God and he has sent me here."

and translating it into
French,
then japanese,
then portuguese
then back into english comes out as
"I put me here to be the Son of God"
Try it.
Overtime the truth was distorted and lost in translation.

Overall it was a great week. I hope you all have a great week as well.

Till next time,
Elder Dallin S Pulsipher